Friday, October 10, 2008

Multi-Tabling: The Release Valve Table



Well, it's a technique that I've come to gradually develop and one that I utilized during my recent re-entry into the poker ocean. My game has been back up to form, but I'm still utilizing this tool just because...well, I like it. It will be a bit controversial to some and perhaps laughable to others who think I am "throwing away money." But it is one of the things that works for me and helps me keep a cool head.

Nobody is permanently impervious to tilt.

I've been staying at the $20 sit-n-gos, rather than moving back up to higher stakes, despite having fully regained normal form and doing quite well at the 20s. But what I am doing is utilizing a couple of $10 "release valve tables." I will play maybe four $20 tables at a time and also add a pair of $10 games which I keep running at the bottom of the screen.

An interesting phenomenon happens.

Yes, I don't take the $10 tables quite as seriously. That isn't to say that I run around playing donk poker on them. I just tend to give in to my impulses a little more and maybe tend toward my more borderline-reliability aggressive reads, ones that I would normally be aware of but not consider strong enough to warrant a serious commitment of chips.

Especially if some drunken retard calls my preflop all in with QQ on a $20 table when he has 2/5 off-suit...and wins...well, I have a lower-penalty forum in which I can go nuts and try to roll over everybody for a few hands until my blood pressure settles back down.

The result? I basically break even on these lower-stakes release valve tables. Maybe a slight profit. But they help me maintain my A-game on the tables that really count. And if you've got your multi-tabling attention division skills up to par, then give it a try. It's actually kind of like a little vacation from the tables that make you worry.

No comments: